Monday, June 9, 2014

Worrying Won't Change Anything

 
















Worry.


Oh, the ways it keeps us up at night, puts our stomach in knots, brings anxiety and fear to our hearts, and exaggerates our thoughts about a situation, person, or even our future and brings about nothing good. Worry is not helpful. It isn't even logical.


Worrying will not change the outcome. It will awaken our deepest fears and put any trust in God to sleep. It will make us view others with contempt and stir up envy in our hearts toward those whom we perceive as having better lives than we do. It blinds us, instills doubt in our minds, and causes us to forget that God is in control of every aspect of our lives and it is He alone that has the ability, willingness, and track record to guide us along the right path in life.


I have noticed the times I seek to be a "Sovereign Self" and try forging my own paths in life, thinking I know what is best, how it soon becomes evident that being my own lord and thinking I can trust the depravity and shifting feelings of my own heart to guide me in what is the best option in every aspect of life (the ones which I can control) is a poor decision.


I look back over all the times God seemingly ignored my requests in prayer; whether that be for working at a certain place, getting to know certain people, dating certain guys, living certain places, or even doing as I will in everything, and I truly see that God was good and His mercy abundant in putting a stop to my plans and graciously & lovingly allowing His perfect will to prevail. I honestly don't know where I would be today if God had not intervened and through various situations, people, resources, and circumstances brought my heart to the point of total surrender to Him. Only God knows...and I realize how much better off I am in life today since God said "No" or "Wait" to specific prayer requests.


God is trustworthy, even when we don't understand. God is good even when life is falling apart. God is faithful and for us even when relationships are broken, a job lost, or receiving a risky health diagnosis.


James MacDonald once said something to the effect of, "Would you really want to live longer than God has ordained for you to live (Psalm 139: 16)?" This simple yet wise quote has helped me many a time when I feared dying young, or not receiving particular desires of my heart, or worrying about whether I will marry before my mom passes away.


All we as Christians can do (and it really is the wisest choice to make each day) is rest in our loving, gentle, and compassionate Savior's arms, serve Him with a willing heart, offer Him a surrendered life, and honor Him with the renewing of our minds (Romans 12: 2), choosing to fill our minds with what corresponds with the truth of Philippians 4: 8, having a Biblical worldview and entertainment & friend choices that will propel us toward further godliness (not lead us astray even slightly).



Proverbs 3: 5-6 exhorts us to, "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."


What is stopping you from placing full confidence and trust in God?

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...