Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Isaiah 43: 2-3







Yesterday was a very difficult day for me.  I have found that when I feel really down, I am blinded to everything God has done for me, every prayer He has answered, every desire of my heart He has granted, everything He has blessed me with, provided, spared me from, delivered me from, changed my perspective toward, set me free from, ways He has restored me, ways He has protected me, every time He made a way out of a bad situation, relationship, or friendship, His faithfulness to take care of me in every way, the godly friendships He has blessed me with, ways He has enabled me to grow as a Christian, and so much else...simply because I feel down and am so wrapped up in what I fear or am anxious about or think is going to happen or think won't happen (certain desires of my heart) that I am blinded to everything God has done for me and at the moment (or hour or day or week I feel down) do not acknowledge, keep in mind, remember, and dwell on the fact that my life in its entirety is in God's hands, He is perfectly aware of everything I desire, and His character as described in the Bible is good, faithful, and trustworthy.

Life can really get us down if we allow our negative, fearful, stressful, and worrisome thoughts to run away with us.

I explained to my family how I felt and spent time in prayer with my mom.  I love spending time in prayer with others because not only is it a form of accountability and fellowship, yet it is also a great blessing and encouragement to be around other believers and lift my requests and burdens to the LORD in prayer, knowing that placing our concerns, worries, doubts, questions, etc. in His hands is truly the safest place to be.  God is big enough to handle anything, ANYTHING.  Even that.

I am planning to begin reading a few books over the next two weeks.  One entitled, "Trusting God" by Jerry Bridges which my younger sister suggested and asked if I would like to read through the book together (this way we can keep each other accountable and finish the book within two weeks).  My mom suggested reading, "Pleasing God" by R.C. Sproul which I am interested in reading, and a dear and godly friend of mine is beginning to read, "The Heart of Anger" by Lou Priolo, so when I told her we own that book as well, I told her we can read through it together.

I enjoy reading Biblically accurate, thought provoking, well written, good Christian books because not only do they sharpen your mind, it also enables spiritual growth, and is a great way to renew our minds with hearing God's word expounded instead of filling our minds with magazines or secular books that are often a waste of time and even a bad influence.  When I say this I am not stating that there are not any good and worth-reading secular books out there, nor am I meaning to appear legalistic at all.  I am just making mention that I have found by reading good, God honoring books that expound the word of God and the Christian walk, I really grow to have the right perspective.  And what a difference the right perspective can make!

Wouldn't you agree?

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...