Thursday, April 11, 2013

A World Where Anything Goes





Here is a portion of a letter I recently wrote to a friend:

" People must stop and question, "Do we really want to live in a world where anything goes?  How would that affect me personally?" instead of appearing to carry the attitude of, "I don't care if this or that happened to so and so, yet if I experienced it, I wouldn't like it" or "What's right for me may not be right for you.  Don't judge me.  Don't be offensive either by trying to impose your beliefs on me".
 
This line of reasoning seems to work...until someone crosses your will, until someone does something contrary to your beliefs and moral standards, etc!  Then it is a different playing field.  Then we begin to say, "That isn't right!", because what's right is right period and there ARE specific issues in life that we all know are wrong.
 
Take not driving through a red light, for example.  What if someone said, "I don't see any problem with people driving through red lights.  It has never hurt me.  We shouldn't impose our "laws" on them"?  This is a silly example, yet it clearly shows that certain moral laws must govern our world or it will fall to pieces because the line of reason that says "What's right for me may not be right for you, so lets all hold hands and achieve world peace by letting anything go in life" is actually quite a faulty and illogical way of thinking.  It not only lacks integrity, but also lacks common sense, decency, and general respect for the common public.  This can apply to a number of issues, subjects, and topics in life.  A mentor and friend of mine once said something to the effect of, "We shouldn't only focus on what seems right at the time (in the present moment or month or even year) or what can fix a situation at the time, we must look how our current decisions will affect future generations.  How will allowing this or banning that affect our children and grandchildren ten or twenty years down the line?  We need to make decisions with future generations in mind, not whims that feel right in the mere present." "

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...