Monday, August 31, 2015

The Challenge of Apathy






By Jim George


Apathy is such a subtle challenge. In fact, it is so subtle that I didn’t even see it coming until it was too late. Let me explain. I went away to college to study to become a pharmacist. I fully intended to continue my habit of going to church and being active in student ministry. However, little by little I stopped going to church on a regular basis. I was too busy with college life and my studies to be involved with other Christians at church activities. Eventually I got to the point where I was “spiritually frozen.” For the next ten years I was in the grips of spiritual apathy. I was useless to God. I was barren of any spiritual life and fruit. I was even having a negative influence on others because of my apathy.


How can you keep apathy from settling into your life? Check your spiritual temperature on a regular basis by asking these questions:



  • Am I making excuses for missing church?
  • Am I becoming comfortable with little sins?
  • Am I able to take or leave God’s Word?
  • Am I spending more of my discretionary hours with non-Christians rather than Christians?
  • Am I looking to myself or the world rather than to God for help with life issues?
  • Am I resisting the warnings of fellow believers?



If your answer to any or most of these questions is Yes, then, my friend, you are well on your way to apathy. But realize that with God’s help, you can overcome the problem. Here is a “spiritual prescription” for dealing with apathy.



  • Recognize that apathy can happen to you.
  • Realize that God’s Word is essential.
  • Reach out to those with “hot hearts” for the Lord.
  • Regularly attend church.
  • Request that others hold you accountable for your commitments to God.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...