Saturday, February 8, 2014

Contentment Even in Difficulty












What do you find the most beautiful in life?  Friendship?  Laughter?  Nice scenery?  Deep communication about what really matters?  Being content with what you have and trusting God to provide what you need?  Reading God's word daily and maintaining your walk with Him through prayer, praise, studying Christian resources, growing spiritually through attending church, genuine accountability, and learning to trust God as He brings you through trials in life?  ...

We all know what makes each of us the most content in life where we can say with ease, "I love this!"

What happens when these things are taken from us, sometimes suddenly?  Do we become angry, bitter, overwhelmed with sadness and tears, or resentful toward God and shake our fist toward heaven in disbelief with the heart attitude of, "Why would You let this happen?!"

Life can bring unexpected changes and may leave us wondering, "Where was God when I lost the person I cared about most?  Where was God when my husband was diagnosed with Cancer and died within a matter of months?  Where was God when I lost my job and already have credit card debt (along with bills, rent, food, gas, toiletries, and the many other things in life that cost money)?  Where was God when my child died in a car accident?  Where was God when my cousin committed suicide?  Where was God when my parent's marriage fell apart and now I alternate between two homes each week? ..."

Oh, so many questions in life.  Oh, so many problems that too often creep up unexpectedly and leave us doubting, fearful, confused, and burdened.

What shall we do when the bottom falls out and we find ourselves in a desperate, lonely, and overwhelming situation?  Turn to God.  Run to Him.  Seek after Him through reading His word hourly.  Pray to Him from an honest heart.  Worship God for the truths His word contains and the majesty and wonder of His character as described in the Bible.  Stay close to God.  Seek godly counsel and pursue time with wise mentors at church who can come along side you during this season of heartbreak and difficulty and be there with you, pray with and for you, and comfort you with the truths of God's word and remind you of God's faithfulness even when we don't understand.  Jesus is the only One who can give us the strength and hope we need during rough times and whose grace is sufficient, even in that circumstance.  Jesus is the only One who has literally walked in your shoes, faced rejection, mocking & torture and left us the most noble example of submitting to God's perfect plan even when it is hard and we would rather have the easy route.

" 'Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.' "  Isaiah 41: 10

Lyrics by Casting Crowns:

"And I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
And every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm"

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...