Saturday, December 14, 2013

Overcoming Self-Harm







 
I recently spoke with a friend and mentor about the topic of self-injury.  Here are some of his thoughts and my thoughts on this topic as well:
 
 
"If someone returns to self-injury during rough or stressful times because this was their coping mechanism before, instead they should realize, 'This rough or stressful situation God has allowed to enable growth in my life and to build my character and trust in Him and to mold and break and shape me more into the image of God's Son and to make me more like Him.  Me returning to my old coping mechanism is like the book of Proverbs says in chapter 26 verse 11 about a dog returning to his vomit.  In Christ, I am a new creature (Second Corinthians 5: 17).  The old things passed away; behold, new things have come.  Part of my new life in Christ is to rid myself (allow God to rid) of old habits and coping mechanisms and to teach me lessons and refine my character...like gold being refined in the fire.  This is why God allows hardship and trials, as to put me through the fire in order to refine me.  Going through the fire could be part of the sanctification process.  Holiness has to be my only avenue out.  I must seek righteousness.  Trials show me what I still need to surrender to God and the loyalty of my commitment to Him.' "
 
 
You may write to me at:  EmmaJoyBlog@gmail.com if you have any questions or would like to share what is on your heart.  I am thankful for every letter or note I receive from you all!


~* Just a reminder that I am having a giveaway for the month of December that you may sign up for until December 16th and I will announce the winner the following day.  Read "Giveaways" label at the top of page for more info!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...